Mac and Cheese seems to be a staple in the diet of most average kids (at least in America). I remember standing on a kitchen chair so I could stir the butter, milk, and cheese packet into my Kraft mac and cheese as a kid. I also remember my Aunt’s incredibly yummy homemade mac and cheese (still working on recreating that one…). And I remember some not-so-good attempts at making a vegan version (which usually ended up clumpy and tasting a lot like the pimentos that made it orange).
However, I’ve also had some incredible vegan mac and cheese. And let’s just say, I really hope that this recipe makes it on your list of favorites!
This Baked Vegan Mac and Cheese is so incredibly easy and simple. It’s not a gourmet macaroni, just a basic down-to-earth version that anyone could make and enjoy. You could even skip the “baked” part if you wanted, but I really like the extra crunch it adds to the texture.
All you need is your favorite macaroni, one recipe of my Unbelievable Vegan Cheese Sauce (come on… It was basically begging to be made into Mac and Cheese), and a few other ingredients to make this classic comfort food.
Pair it with a salad and veggie of choice (and maybe even mashed potatoes!), and you have a meal in just 30 minutes.
I hope you’ll give this recipe a try! Don’t forget to rate it and comment below! Have a beautiful week, you all. 🙂
- 18 oz pasta, cooked according to directions
- 2 Tbsp vegan butter (I use Earth Balance)
- 1 recipe Unbelievable Vegan Cheese Sauce*
- ½ cup water
- ⅓ cup nutritional yeast flakes
- ¾ tsp salt
- ¼ cup bread crumbs (for top)
- Preheat oven to 350º. Spray baking dish and set aside.
- Prepare favorite pasta according to directions. Be careful not to overcook, or it will be mushy after baking.
- While preparing the pasta, make your cheese sauce. Add additional water, nutritional yeast flakes, and salt, and blend until smooth.
- After pasta is cooked and drained, stir in 2 Tbsp vegan butter until melted and pasta is fully coated.
- Stir cheese into pasta until fully coated.
- Pour into prepared baking dish. Sprinkle bread crumbs over top.
- Place in oven, and bake for 15 minutes, or until pasta is heated through and bread crumbs are toasted.
- Enjoy hot! Keeps for about 3-4 days in the fridge, although it is best fresh! Just pop it back in the oven before eating!
Find the recipe for the Unbelievable Vegan Cheese Sauce HERE