Happy January, everyone! I hope you all had a wonderful holiday season with your family! I know, I’m a little late… After traveling all over the country for 3 weeks, I’m finally getting back into the swing of things. But I have a yummy recipe to start your year off that is more than worth the wait.
One word: Cornbread. But not just any cornbread! This is definitely the BEST cornbread I have ever had – vegan or otherwise.
If you’re used to cornbread that is dry and crumbly, I’d like to introduce you to a whole new world of yumminess. This vegan cornbread is unbelievably moist, fluffy, and tender. And I promise you will never miss the dairy. It really is the BEST vegan cornbread.
A few years ago, my mom developed this vegan recipe from her original cornbread recipe. Since then, people have asked me for the recipe every single time I’ve made it. However, I’ve held onto it for a special opportunity to share it. You’re in luck, because the moment has finally arrived. 😉
This is an easy, fool-proof recipe that anyone can make! The cornbread is crisp on the top, and tender on the inside. It is the perfect side for chili, soups, beans, and more. And if you have some leftover, no worries. I grew up eating leftover cornbread in the morning with milk and honey on top – you should try it sometime. 😉
I hope you give this recipe a try! You’re going to want to hang on to this one for a while. Don’t forget to come back to rate the recipe after you make it!
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 1 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
- 3 Tbsp sugar
- 4 tsp baking powder (non-aluminum)
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ package silken tofu (not water packed)
- 1 cup unsweetened soy milk
- ¼ cup oil (any kind other than olive oil)
- Preheat oven to 425º.
- If using a cast iron skillet, coat the bottom with a small amount of oil, and place skillet in the oven to heat up. If using a regular 9x9 baking pan, simply spray with non-stick cooking spray and set aside.
- Combine dry ingredients in a medium size mixing bowl.
- Next, place tofu, soy milk, and oil in a blender and blend until smooth.
- Pour wet ingredients into dry, and stir quickly until well combined. Be careful not to over mix.
- Pour batter into pre-greased pan or skillet, and smooth top.
- Bake for 25 minutes, or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean.