Happy February, everyone!! It’s hard to believe that January has already come and gone… I have a feeling that 2018 is going to go by even quicker than 2017 did. Yikes.
But in happier news, I have a yummy recipe to keep you fueled during these cold winter days. This Garden Fresh Kale Salad is chock full of nutrients, and takes mere minutes to make. Let’s dive in!
The ingredients required are basic, and can also be switched up as desired. You could use a yellow or orange pepper instead of a red one, add some tomato, a handful of sunflower or hemp seeds, or just about any other favorite veggie or topping. The key to this salad is to keep it simple, nutritious, and delicious. (Now if only everything else in life were that easy…)
There’s only one part of this salad that requires work… Kale is generally tough, but by massaging it (yes, you read that right), you can transform it into soft, tender pieces. It’s easier than it sounds.
After sprinkling the lemon juice, olive oil, salt, and sugar over your chopped kale, massage or knead it with your hands for about 2 minutes until it is soft. Your kale will have shrunk to about 1/3 of the volume it had when you started.
Once the kale is ready, simply add the rest of your ingredients in and give it a gentle toss. This Garden Fresh Kale Salad is best when enjoyed fresh, but will also last covered in the fridge for up to a day. It tends to get very wilted if it sits longer.
I hope that you have a great weekend, and will give this recipe a try! It’s an easy and yummy way to get more vitamins this time of year. Let me know in the comments below how you liked it!
- 1 bunch kale
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice
- ½ tsp salt
- 2 tsp sugar
- ½ red bell pepper, chopped very small
- ⅓ cup grated carrot (about 1 small carrot)
- ¼ cup raisins
- 1 clove fresh garlic, minced
- Wash kale. Remove from stalks, and chop into small pieces. Place in a medium mixing bowl.
- Sprinkle olive oil, lemon juice, salt, and sugar over kale.
- Massage or knead kale with hands until soft and tender (about 2 minutes). Kale will shrink to about ⅓ the size in volume as it was at the beginning.
- Add remaining ingredients, and toss to combine.
- Serve fresh! Keeps covered in the fridge for up to one day.