If you’re like me, you’d rather be outside in the sunshine than inside cooking. And if that’s the case, I have the perfect meal for you! This easy vegetable fried rice is a fast and nutritious meal. And the best part is that it only requires one pan! (Yay for less dishes!)
This recipe uses a variety of fresh and colorful vegetables. Not only does that make it beautiful, but it also means that you get a wide range of nutrients. Win-win.
It is also an easily customizable dish. If you don’t like a veggie, leave it out. If there’s one you want to add, do it! I think some yummy additions would be red pepper, fresh green beans, and maybe even eggplant! Also, you can use white rice if you like, but I do find that it gets really sticky and clumpy. And of course, it doesn’t have the same nutritional properties as brown rice.
Start by prepping your ingredients. Make sure to start your rice first so that it will be ready when your veggies are done cooking. (I like to use my Instant Pot. Best kitchen gadget EVER!) Next, I like to drain and cube my tofu, so it can be frying while I prep my veggies.
The rest is easy! Simply fry your tofu until firm and chewy, then add your veggies. (In order to keep this dish looking bright, colorful, and fresh, make sure to not overcook the veggies. You want them to be fork-tender, but not mushy.) Next, toss in your seasonings, rice, and the last couple of ingredients and you’re done!
This has become a family favorite, and I think you will love it as well! If you try this recipe, don’t forget to rate it and leave a comment below! 🙂
- 2 Tbsp oil
- 1 block extra firm tofu, drained and cubed
- 1 large onion (diced small)
- 1 cup sliced Mini Bella mushrooms
- 3 large garlic cloves, minced
- 3 large carrots, sliced
- 1 medium head broccoli, cut into bite-size pieces
- 2 cup shredded purple cabbage
- ¼ cup Braggs
- 3Tbsp maple syrup
- ¼ tsp powdered ginger
- 4 cups cooked brown rice
- 2 cup kale
- ¼ cup cilantro
- Start rice and prep tofu.
- Heat oil in a large wok or frying pan over medium-high heat.
- Add cubed tofu to pan and toss gently to coat with oil. Turn the tofu gently every couple of minutes until it is evenly browned and firm.
- While tofu is frying, prep veggies.
- Once the tofu is done, add the veggies. Cook uncovered for a few minutes until they begin to soften, stirring frequently. Be careful not to overcook.
- Add Braggs, maple syrup and powdered ginger, and toss to coat evenly.
- Next, add cooked rice and stir until fully mixed. Cook for a few more minutes until heated through. You may cook longer if you like your rice crispy.
- Stir in the kale and cilantro right before serving.
- Serve hot as an entree, or as a side dish for your favorite Asian meal!