Hi friends! It’s been a while since I posted a recipe, and a lot has happened! Aside from the crazy virus taking it’s toll around the world right now, we also welcomed our third baby into our family in March! He is a sweet little boy, and his siblings just love him. 🙂 We are finally settling into our new routine as a family of five, which has given me more time to blog. So, I’m bringing you a recipe this week that I have wanted to share for over a year… I hope you’re ready. 😉
For as long as I can remember, blueberry has been my favorite flavor for almost anything bread and breakfast related (muffins, bagels, pancakes, scones… You name it).
Naturally, I wanted to create a yummy blueberry muffin that was just as healthy as it was delicious (or, at least mostly healthy…). 😉 Typically, if you use the words “healthy” and “muffin” together in the same sentence, I automatically get a mental image of a dry, dense muffin (aka hockey puck)… But who says a muffin can’t be yummy and exciting?!
I think it is safe to say I have successfully created a healthy, delicious, moist muffin that will have you eating more than just one. And with ingredients like whole wheat flour, wheat germ, and applesauce, you don’t have to feel guilty about it.
These vegan blueberry muffins are lightly sweet, moist, easy to make, and they taste just as good the day after baking as they do fresh out of the oven.
This recipe makes about 18 average-sized muffins. You could fill them a little more full if you only want to use one muffin pan, but they will overflow a bit, and you risk the edges burning. However, I don’t recommend trying to put less batter in each muffin tin or the bottoms will burn.
These keep in an airtight container for about 4 days (longer in the fridge, although they will dry out), but they are best within the first 2 days. I love making them in addition to almost any breakfast, and my husband especially likes to eat them in a bowl with milk!
I hope you will give these a try, and let me know what you think in the comments below! 🙂
- 1½ cup soy milk + 1 Tbsp lemon juice
- ⅓ cup neutral-flavored oil
- ¼ cup applesauce
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- ¼ cup wheat germ
- ¾ cup granulated sugar
- 1 Tbsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp cinnamon (optional)
- 1 cup blueberries (fresh or frozen)
- Preheat oven to 400º F.
- Spray muffin tins with non-stick cooking spray (or line with baking papers). Set aside.
- Mix soy milk and lemon juice, and set aside to thicken. Add other wet ingredients, and set aside.
- Mix dry ingredients in a large bowl.
- Combine wet and dry ingredients, mixing gently until just incorporated and there are no large lumps.
- Fold in blueberries.
- Fill each muffin tin about ¾ of the way full. Fill any empty muffin tins with about ¼ cup water to keep them from burning.
- Bake at 400º for about 18 minutes, or until muffins are a light golden color and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Note that if you use frozen blueberries, the baking time will be slightly longer.
- Enjoy! 🙂
These turned out delicious and were so easy to make. My kids approve!
Yay! So glad you all enjoyed them! 🙂
Too delicious to pass! Made some and they are so delicious!! Thanks for the recipe, Ariel!
Thanks, Nhou! So glad you enjoyed them!! 😀