Yes, it’s yummy. But the best part? There are 8 grams of protein in each cup! Plus, it is a complete protein, which means that it includes all of the nine essential amino acids the body needs. That is just the kind of food that I want to be including in my diet! So I set out to discover different ways to work it into our meals. And in the process, I stumbled upon something you won’t want to miss. The recipe I’m about to share with you is my absolute favorite way to use this yummy grain!
I have been plant based for over 7 years, so scrambled tofu has become a norm in our breakfast rotation. I’ve had some yummy ones, and I’ve had some that were severely lacking (read: way too much turmeric). But when I stumbled upon this combination one morning, I knew I had a winner.
The tofu and quinoa provide an incredible plant-based protein boost, and the veggies add a plethora of other vitamins, plus a beautiful array of color. You can mix up the veggies with some of your family favorites. For instance, spinach works well in place of the kale, and both are a great source of calcium.
Perfect for any brunch or breakfast, this quinoa tofu scramble pairs nicely with toast, oven-roasted potatoes and a fresh fruit salad. Add it to your meal plan for next week! I think you’ll discover you like it as much as I did. 🙂
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 small onion, diced
- ½ red bell pepper, diced
- 5-6 mini portobello mushrooms, diced
- 1 box extra-firm tofu (water packed)
- 1 cup cooked quinoa
- 2 Tbsp Braggs liquid aminos (or low-sodium soy sauce)
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1⅕ tsp onion powder
- 2 Tbsp nutritional yeast
- ¼ tsp turmeric
- ¼ tsp red pepper flakes (optional)
- 1 cup chopped kale (lightly packed)
- Drain tofu and prepare quinoa according to directions.
- Heat oil in a frying pan, and sauce veggies until onion is translucent and mushrooms are slightly browned.
- Crumble tofu into pan with veggies, and mix well.
- Cook over medium heat until tofu begins to take on a slightly firmer texture, and any excess liquid is cooked off.
- Add quinoa and seasonings to pan, and stir until completely combined.
- Cook a few more minutes to fully combine flavors.
- Turn off burner, and gently toss in kale.
- Serve immediately, and enjoy!