Hey everyone!! Summer was a little late in coming up north where we live, but the heatwave this weekend left no doubt in our mind that it has arrived. Add high humidity to the high temps, and it’s a wonder we didn’t all melt. Oh, and did I mention we don’t have air conditioning? Thankfully it’s dropped back to “normal” temps again, and hopefully for the rest of the States, too!
The hot weather had me making some of my favorite fresh recipes, and I could hardly wait to share this one with you! If you are looking for a quick, easy and delicious summer meal (and who isn’t?!) I have just the solution to your summer meal planning quandary: this Chickpea Chicken Style Salad!
I created this recipe one day after “shopping” our pantry for something to make for a quick lunch. The result was a big hit with our family (including our 3-year-old!). Since then, I’ve heard nothing but positive reports every time I’ve served it – even from non-vegetarians.
Not only is it delicious, but it’s also full of healthy protein, and the onion and celery give it a really nice fresh crunch. And a bonus: you don’t have to cook anything. Believe me, that’s a huge benefit if you don’t have air conditioning! (like us… lol)
This salad gets it’s “chicken” flavor from McKay’s Chicken Seasoning. You can also find other brands with the same idea. Look for them in your local health food store, or online at Country Life Natural Foods (and it’s cheaper than Amazon!).
You can serve this as a sandwich spread (our favorite!), with crackers, or you can stuff it in tomatoes for a fun summer salad! It is savory, slightly crunchy, and SO satisfying.
Be sure to leave a comment below and tell me how much you loved it!
- 2 cans garbanzo beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 small onion, minced
- 1 stalk celery, minced
- 1 Tbsp chicken-style seasoning
- 1 tsp onion powder
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ¼ tsp celery salt
- ½ cup vegan mayonnaise
- Add garbanzo beans, minced onion and celery, and seasonings to a food processor.
- Pulse until roughly chopped (you want it to still have lots of texture!).
- Spoon into a medium-sized mixing bowl. Add vegan mayo, and stir well.
- Place in the fridge to chill until ready to use.
- Serve as a sandwich spread, with crackers, or as a filling in stuffed tomatoes for a fun summer salad! Keeps for 1 week in the refrigerator.