For as long as I can remember, this Red Leaf Lettuce Salad has been a staple at all of our major family events and get-togethers. Thanksgiving, Christmas, birthdays… You name it – we always requested it. 😉 In fact, we still request it. Somehow, it always tastes best when mom makes it, and I have a feeling it’s due to the extra measure of love she mixes in.
With crisp, flavorful red leaf lettuce, juicy oranges, creamy avocados, and tender mushrooms, the salad is beautiful by itself. But when you add the poppyseed dressing… Ummmmm WOW. This just might become your favorite salad as well.
Food prep for this dish is really easy. I like to make the dressing first so the flavors can fully combine, and so my veggies stay super fresh.
The most difficult part of this salad is prepping the oranges. Using a sharp knife, cut off each end of the orange and then carefully slice off the rind. Try to get as much of the white rind off the orange without taking too much of the fruit off with it.
After you’ve “peeled” the orange, separate each section of the orange from the membranes by cutting as closely to the membrane as possible before gently separating each section. This part can be pretty juicy, so have a hand towel nearby if you don’t want to get messy.
If you’re making this salad ahead of time, simply wait to dice the avocados and toss in the dressing until right before you serve it. If you are concerned about your salad getting wilted, just let everyone add their own dressing. It’s best to eat it the day it’s made, since leftovers don’t keep well. Buuut I don’t think that will be much of a problem… 🙂
Put this on your menu for the week, and let me know in the comments how it goes! This salad just may end up in your family traditions too. 🙂
- Poppyseed Dressing
- 1 teaspoon poppy seeds
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon yellow mustard*
- ¼ cup lemon juice
- ⅔ cup olive oil
- ½ small onion
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- Red Leaf Lettuce Salad
- 1 head red leaf lettuce, washed and torn into bite size pieces
- ½ pound white mushrooms, chopped
- 2 avocados, diced
- 3 oranges
- Prepare the dressing.
- Blend all ingredients (except the sugar) together until smooth. Add sugar, and blend to incorporate. Set aside.
- Prepare lettuce, mushrooms, and avocados, then prepare oranges.
- Use a sharp knife to carefully slice off the orange rind. Then, cut out each section, being careful to not include the membranes. Discard rind and membranes.
- Toss all salad ingredients together gently until evenly mixed.
- Gently toss in dressing right before serving.
- Enjoy! 🙂
*I prefer to use a variety with apple cider vinegar